East Wonder Land
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thomas Aiken leads by 1 at Africa Open

Go down

Thomas Aiken leads by 1 at Africa Open Empty Thomas Aiken leads by 1 at Africa Open

Post  xiaojin Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:08 am

EAST LONDON, South Africa (AP)—South Africa’s Thomas Aiken shot a 9-under 64 at the Africa Open for a one-shot lead after Thursday’s first round of the European Tour’s season-opening tournament.

Aiken had five birdies and two eagles at the par-73 East London Golf Club for a single stroke advantage over Retief Goosen and another South African, Jaco Ahlers.

Welshman Phillip Price, Michael du Toit and Dean O’Riley shared fourth on 7 under.

Aiken, two-time major winner Goosen and Sweden’s Peter Hedblom were the first group off on South Africa’s socheap jerseyuth coast to start the Tour’s 2012 Race to Dubai.

Goosen, after bogeying his first hole, had nine birdies, including five in a row from Nos. 11-15.

Defending champion Louis Oosthuizen was tied for 25th after a 4-under 69. The former British Open champion’s six birdies were spoiled by a double-bogey six on the par-4 No. 6.

Aiken eagled the par-5 No. 11, his third hole, and followed up with three birdies through Nos. 16, 17 and 18, having not played any compesuper bowl jersey
titive golf for two weeks.

“I’d call that a memorable start,” said Aiken, who claimed a maiden European Tour win in 2011. “I haven’t taken a cover off a club for two weeks … so I have to say, this is a great result.”

xiaojin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum